Shaheed Bir Uttam Lt.
Anwar girls’ college is a renowned institution.
Located at the heart of the capital city inside the cantonment
on an area of 5.24 acre, the institution started its journey
in 1957 under cantonment board as a primary school.
In 1963 it had emerged as a full fledged high school named as
cantonment Modern High school. Since its inception,
the institution had been striving hard to impart quality
education to the children of both to the members of
armed forces and to the civilian population. Being a girls’ college,
it had left a definite mark on the advancement of female education in the country.
In 1966 first high school
building was inaugurated by the then GOC of erstwhile East pakistan Major general Fazle Mukim
Khan and at that time medium of instruction of the institution was English. After the liberation
war, the institution was named after martyred army officer Lt. Anwar Hossain BU. Since then
it was known as shaheed Anwar girls’ school. In 1974 it became completely a Bengali medium school
and remained under cantonment Board till 1984, when it was brought under Army
special committee was formed to take care of the school. In 1990 when the college section was
opened the school came to be known as Shaheed Anwar girls’ college. In
July 21, 1990 a principal
joined here for the first time as head of the institution. In the beginning college section
started its activities with humanities group only. Successively it opened science group in 1992
and commerce group in 1996. In 2001 for the first time an officer from Army Education Corps
joined the institution as principal.
Now this institution is established as a full fledged intermediate college and known as shaheed
Bir Uttam Lt. Anwar girls’ college.